Family Law Forms Assistant Program

Avoid waiting in line... fill out your forms online! If the following applies to you, click on the link below to use our new user-friendly form completion program:

  • You have a family law case and would like to modify child custody, visitation, child support or spousal support orders
  • Your case is not a domestic violence case
  • Your case involves the Department of Child Support Services but you only want to modify child custody and/or visitation

Click here to use the Family Law Forms Assistant Program

General Information

Our Resource Center can assist self-represented litigants with their family law cases such as divorces, legal separations, and paternity cases. Although we can explain court procedures and review forms, we cannot provide legal advice, and do not have the ability to complete forms for you. You can visit our Resource Center in person, or contact by phone or email for assistance. For general information on family law basics, you can click on each topic below.

signing piece of paper

Forms and Form Kits

Access and download forms related to family law, child support, guardianship, small claims, and landlord/tenant disputes.

scissors cutting paper

Dissolution of Marriage / Domestic Partnership

There are 2 main ways to end a marriage or registered domestic partnership in California: divorce (dissolution) or annulment. Note: Legal Separation does not end a marriage.
family dissolution

Petition to Establish Parent-Child Relationship

If you and the other parent have never been married, you may need to file a Petition to Establish Parental Relationship in order to request child custody, visitation and/or child support. This type of case is used to establish parentage between minor child(ren) and their biological father and establish child custody and visitation orders.
cutting paper in half

Petition for Custody and Support

If you are married and do not want to file for divorce or legal separation, you can file a Petition for Custody and Support to ask the judge to make orders regarding the issues of custody, visitation and child support. 
gavel and books on table

Request for Order

Through the Request for Order you can request court orders, such as child custody, visitation, child support, spousal support, attorney fees and other issues. You need an open case to file a Request for Order, or you can file a new case at the same time.
court room

Responding to a Petition or Request for Order

If you have been served with a family law Petition or Request for Order, you may file a response to the Petition and/or a Responsive Declaration to the Request for Order. A response lets the Court know if there is something that you do not agree with on the Petition or Request for Order.
gavel on table

Finalizing your Case

When you are ready to finish your case, you will need to prepare a judgment. A judgment can be finalized in different ways. It may be by mutual agreement, by default, or decided in court.