Q: I was issued a Traffic citation, what happens next?
A: If you were cited for a traffic violation, the court will mail you a reminder notice at the address listed on your ticket. Do not disregard your ticket if you do not receive your reminder notice in the mail.

Q: What should I do if I do not receive a reminder notice in the mail?
A: Listed toward the bottom of your citation, there is a “promise to appear” date. If you do not receive your reminder notice at least two weeks before that date, you may come in person to the courthouse, inquire by mail, or contact a court representative by phone or via email. Failure to receive the reminder notice does not excuse your obligation to pay on or before your “promise to appear” date.

Q: What happens if I do not appear by the “promise to appear” date?
A: Failure to appear on or before the appearance date may result in a $300 Civil Assessment fee, a hold placed on your driver’s license and referral to collections. Pursuant to Vehicle Code 40508(a) and Penal Code 1214.1.

Q: Do you offer Night Court?
A: At this time, night court is not an option; we can assist you in person or by phone to schedule a hearing for you to appear during regular business hours.

Q: Do I need to see a judge for a Traffic infraction?
A: You are not required to see a judge for your infraction citation. With form SB-16350 or SB-16351, almost any request can be submitted without appearing in front of a judge.

Q: Why isn’t my ticket filed yet in the system?
A: On average, it takes 4 – 6 weeks for a new citation to be entered into the Court’s database. Additionally, the officer has up to one year from the date the citation was issued to submit the original with the court. Penal Code § 802(a).

Q: Can I make payments on my citation? Can I set up a Payment Plan over the phone?
A: For more information on how to set up a Payment Plan for your citation, you may contact any Traffic courthouse within the county of San Bernardino. Please see the “Payment Options and Information” located in the “Pay Traffic Ticket” option on the public website.

Q: Which forms do I need?
A: To contest your Traffic citation in writing, form TR-205 for a Trial by Declaration is required. If you have a financial hardship, form SB-16351 can be submitted without appearing in front of a judge. To request an extensions or modification of a previous sentence/court order, form SB-16350 can be submitted without appearing in front of a judge.